Founded in 2009, Gaia Energy is a leading independent large-scale renewable energy developer in Africa with a presence in 9 countries on the African continent and a head-office based in Luxemburg. Gaia Energy develops, owns and provides investments to renewable energy projects, focusing mainly on wind and solar power plants, with a capacity of over 3,000 MW. Gaia Energy’s experienced team of around 40 professionals, located across Africa, brings a unique approach to projects’ development: local knowledge, technical expertise based on high standards of development, financial structuring, negotiation with OEMs… Gaia Energy is committed to creating benefits through its projects and develops sustainable solutions for the project community alongside local organizations and experienced NGOs.
As a company, we have evolved in the last 5 years and are building new capabilities:
- Co-development: we are engaging directly with existing project developers where they need our expertise, credibility and funding to reach financial close;
- Post financial-close investments: we have now access to capital that can be invested for medium to long term into our power infrastructure projects. Generally, we would seek to hold a minority stake in projects we have developed and look for an exit after few years of operation. In specific cases we can consider all-equity financing of construction with the objective to have a 3 rd party refinancing post Commercial Operational Date (COD).
Gaia is a small but growing team of 40+ individuals located in 6 offices (Casablanca, Tunis, Accra, Abidjan, Nairobi and Dar Es Salaam). Everyone plays a critical role in the successful development of our projects and brings a specific expertise to the team. Our team is open and promotes transparency, enabling expertise to be shared and workloads balanced as projects demands change.
We expect you to contribute in helping us grow our renewable energy project development and/or co-development activities and consolidate our position as a key player in African power infrastructure projects. You will be shadowing one of the Country Manager and assist him/her in all day to day activities. You may also work across all East African countries if/when required. As our company continues to grow, we expect you to grow too, with the possibility of eventually becoming a Senior Business Development Manager once you have gained the required experience.
The Business Development Manager will assist originating, developing and closing projects or new co-development opportunities, as well as supporting to manage and monitor existing projects and / or partnerships. Responsibility will include 100% compliance with IFC standards and might include depending on candidate skills and experience:
- Market studies to identify new projects, developers, sectors or countries for Gaia to invest into;
- Identifying, evaluating and ranking new projects/co-development opportunities;
- Maintaining a database of opportunities;
- Propose suitable investment targets and carry out initial engagement.
Audit / Due Diligence
- Audit financial models i.e. check assumptions and parameters of the financial model and make sure they are achievable / realistic and consistent across all components of the project (i.e. technical design, legal contracts, accounting rules, tax regimes, etc.) and testing its integrity, identifying areas for further exploration and running sensitivities (for instance on tax regimes related to different investment structures);
- Reviewing and understanding the HSE, technical and environmental aspects of projects (compliance with international standards)
- Reviewing and understanding corporate and commercial project documentation (legal contracts) and assessing the underlying project risk profile
- Co-ordinating ‘Know Your Customer’ checks and other core due diligence activities
- Writing and presenting papers to an internal committee and recommending Go/No Go decisions
Negotiation / Deal making / Closing
- Assist in the structuring of an offer and preparation of negotiations that might include several instruments.
- Support BD Manager in agreeing Term Sheets.
- Liaise with advisors (external and internal) to finalise commercial agreements (Joint Development Agreement, Shareholder Agreement, etc.) between parties.
- Lobbying the key relevant stakeholders
Managing / Monitoring
- Monitor partner progress in projects or taking co-development projects from concept to financial close and ensure adherence to partnership agreements.
- Identifying, managing and mitigating projects or co-development risks.
- Support BD Manager for project steering committee/board and the associated decision-making process.
- Assist in the reviewing and drafting of all the necessary commercial terms for the projects including, procuring sub-contractors, law firms, etc, securing contractual documentation e.g. land securing and partnership agreements, finance agreements, PPAs and other revenue agreements;
- Building a strong working relationship with all key project stakeholders and ensuring they are engaged, supporting and satisfied with the co-development project;
- Providing regular project status reports; Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in finance, legal or equivalent. Ideally an MBA qualifications or other analytical experience/skills. Exceptional candidates with technical or engineering background might be considered;
- Financial modelling skills and attention to details;
- Financial acumen – the capacity to demonstrate knowledge of and insight into financial principles and processes.
- Ability to apply sound business judgment
- Ability to grasp and deal with technical topics
Personal Qualities/key skills
You have a good knowledge of the energy sector and you are passionate about renewable energies, especially solar and wind. You know how to analyze the technical, administrative, regulatory and economic issues and how to manage a project. With a relational ease and negotiation skills, you are rigorous, motivated and you are a teamworker.
- Understanding and experience (2 years min) in developing RE projects
- Global experience in RE technologies
- Recognised network in country
- Experience in project management
- Practical experience of implementing managerial plans on project development
- Proven ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Negotiation, communication and conflict management skills
- Integrity, compliance and transparency skils
- Good computer skills (MS office, , Google Earth, Google for work)
- Strong report writing and analytical skills in English (and French a plus)
- Strong communication skills in working languages (English)
- Plus: Work experience in African context.
- Be autonomous, with spirit and drive, and persistence;
- Ability to work within a small team with flat management structure;
- Have highly developed interpersonal skills and the sensitivity to working internationally;
- Good judgment, a "big picture" attitude, the ability to think laterally and the desire to be in a changing environment will be necessary;
- Reliable and trustworthy
The role is based in Dar Es Salaam.
Market based on experience.
The company will not sponsor a work permit for this position and therefore you need to already
be eligible to work in Tanzania.